Epzicom/Sustiva malaise

HI... I was recently diagnosed (cd4 290, VL 330,00) and just began once-per-day Epzicom/Sustiva. I am one week into treatment & the only troublesome side effect I seem to have is a sort of depressive/anxious feeling and a general malaise. (Which appears to subside at about hour 23..right before my next dosing..cruel, cruel!) Is it probable that these particular effects will wear off soon? Is it ok to take an Ibuprofen for the malaise on a regular basis? How do you generally treat these symptoms in your own patients? Thanks, Rick

Yes I try to treat those symptoms to help patients during that shaky first months of treatment. If more symptoms develop you need to make sure you discuss with your provider to make sure there is nothing further suggestive of abacavir hypersensitivity reaction occurring. A very high % of patients on that regimen will have side effects that are annoying for a while. Ibuprofen is OK for most patients to take (assuming no history of stomach ulcers, kidney problems, etc). KH

Switching from Videx-EC to Viread-fat loss
Night Sweats - w & wo Rx