Combivir & Sustiva

Dear Dr. keith,

I started treatment a week ago with combivir and sustiva, thank god I haven't develop any bad side effect as of the moment. My only concern is that after starting the medication, my stomach produces a lot of gas and acid that is very uncomfortable. I feel like I am always hungry. Is there any thing that I could take to counter act this side effect? I would appreciate it so much if you could tell me what meds. to treat this hyperacidity. I am worried to take the over the counter meds. because it may interact with the medication that I am taking. Pls. answer me.

always, hyperacidity

Upper GI side effects are very common with that combination. For many the bothersome side effects will diminish over the first several months. If there is acid reflux over the counter meds such as cimetidine or ranitidine are OK with your meds. Anti-gas agents (such as simethicone) can be tried but are helpful in only a minority of patients. There are also some specific prescriptions meds that can be tried if there is nausea or loss of appetite. Eating well and exercise can help too. KH

The Life of Sustiva/Combivir
Just Started therapy and very concern..