The Life of Sustiva/Combivir

I started meds in June. My viral load was 304k, my tcell count was 52. My doctor prescribed Sustiva/Combivir. Within 60 days my viral load was undectectable... my tcell count jumped to 350 and continues to rise. Although I haven't had blood work in three months to determine the latest read. My weight and appitite have gone back to normal, regaining about 12 pounds. I follow a bodybuilders workout and have for years. I drink a gallon of water a day. Now my question... being new to meds... how long can I expect this combination to keep my HIV undetectable. Or how long will this combo be effective before I have to switch because of a resistance. I know other complications could cause the doctor to switch, but providing there are no problems with my lab results whats the life of this combo before the virus becomes immune? Thanks for giving me some peace of mind.

For patients without pre-existing resistance who suppress well on their first regimen the new is pretty good. If near 100% adherence is maintained the failure rate appears to range from 3-5% on the average. That translates into an expectation that patients can do well on the first regimen stretching out to 10 years and beyond. That is still conjecture since highly effective meds have only been available for 8 years and the better regimens for more like 5 years but I am optimistic that long-term control will be the norm under ideal circumstances. KH

"This aint acne"
Combivir & Sustiva