bloating with sustiva/combivir

Hi there.

Bloating. Sustiva/Combivir for 6 months. Some cholesterol count in the 600's. Started Lipitor.

I have read many Q&A's at this site about bloating. My symptoms match the questions, but the answers seem naive and dismissive. Is there simply no acknowledgment or solution or consensus for the bloating problem?

Initial and persistant bloating defininately is a problem for many patients on treatment. AZT (a component of the Combivir) may be the most likely drug contributing to that. In patients who otherwise are doing well but are unhappy with the bloating I often try to substitute out one drug at a time (i.e. abacavir or tenofovir for the AZT). If a patient is having major lipid elevations (some on Sustiva get that) then increasing intra-abdominal fat can also cause the bloating sensation. If that appears to be the case then switching to a more fat/lipid friendly regimen is also a consideration (i.e. atazanavir for the Sustiva). Anti-gas meds only (i.e. simethicone) seem to help only a small % of patients. KH

Tipping over continued
Bio-alcamid safe for facial wasting?