Morning Sickness is not just for pregnat women!

Dear Dr. Henry, When I found out that I have AIDS (CD4 count 18 and viral load 250,000) this past April, I had several symptoms that lead me to my doctor: nausea in the morning was one of many. I was started out immediately with Sustiva and Combivir. All other symptoms have disappeared but the nausea. It literally wakes me up out of a sound sleep every morning. My doctor has sent scoped both stomach and intestins, and sent me for an MRI...all without any results that would explain the nausea. Now I've been taken off the Combivir and am getting another mixture, but the nausea continues. It's not exactly the way I envision starting my day each day! Any ideas what could be causing it? Anything my doctor should be looking for? At the moment, my viral load is "undetectable" and my CD4 count has gone up to 78. Thanks for any advice you could give. Best regards, "Green around the gills!"

Some patients seem cursed with continued annoying side effects such as nausea which can be vexing to work around. The AZT part of Combivir often contributes to that but apparently not in your case. I know when I took Sustiva with 2 other usually well tolerated meds after a needlestick I felt nauseated for the entire month. Switching off the Sustiva could be considered at some point. For nausea I have some patients who respond well to Reglan, or Marinol, or Compazine or other anti-emetics that I often utilize to help out the symptoms. KH

First Line Atazanavir
Got my blood to the CDC (twice)