AVN and THR

I need to have Total Hip Replacement as the result of AVN. Is there any Joint that is better than another. I heard that if you get it replaced with a metal joint you can never have an MRI again. Would the same be true of Ceramic? How do they compare with Metal in terms of durability etc. And do you get a choice? Will Medicare pay? I really don't want to lose an MRI as a diagnostic tool for the future. Thanks from Hipless in LA.

I can't comment on which artificial joint is superior. Getting a metal hip replacement would result in a distorted image if that hip were to be MRU-imaged but it is my understanding that other regions of the body would be OK. At the county hopital where I work, we have an insurance person in our HIV clinic who researches out insurance coverage matters for out patients. If you are on Medicare already and your need a hip replacement it has been my experience that it is covered though I have our insurance person look into the specifics. KH

arthritis and HIV
Avoiding Long term Side Effects