Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AVN and THR
Oct 1, 2004

I need to have Total Hip Replacement as the result of AVN. Is there any Joint that is better than another. I heard that if you get it replaced with a metal joint you can never have an MRI again. Would the same be true of Ceramic? How do they compare with Metal in terms of durability etc. And do you get a choice? Will Medicare pay? I really don't want to lose an MRI as a diagnostic tool for the future. Thanks from Hipless in LA.

Response from Dr. Henry

I can't comment on which artificial joint is superior. Getting a metal hip replacement would result in a distorted image if that hip were to be MRU-imaged but it is my understanding that other regions of the body would be OK. At the county hopital where I work, we have an insurance person in our HIV clinic who researches out insurance coverage matters for out patients. If you are on Medicare already and your need a hip replacement it has been my experience that it is covered though I have our insurance person look into the specifics. KH

Previous
arthritis and HIV
Next
Avoiding Long term Side Effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.