Rapid Viral Load Reduction

Dear Docs... i've been poz about 1.5 years now, and I need to start meds. My VL went from 30K to 750K in 3months, but luckily my CD4 count is stable around 450. My doc wants me on Kaletra, Combivir, Viread, Ziagen. He wants to bring down my VL as fast as possible. Is this too much? Too toxic? I did some reading, and I thought about Reyetaz and Combivir/Viread. However, my doc states he doesn't think it will bring it down as fast. Got any 2nd opinions? Thanks!

The regimen you are interested in (Reyataz + COmbivir) may well work though I haven't used it for initial therapy (other than in studies) for patients with high viral loads (I would recheck yours before starting to see if it is maintaining that high level). I often start with a regimen like your doc suggested which is considered aggressive (induction) to minimize any chance for resistance and to get the viral load down quickly. Once the virus is fully suppressed I try to simplify to an indivualized maintenance regimen. The experience of taking the momre aggressive drugs early I find motivates patients to take the simpler meds well in order to avoid resistance and wind back up on the more complicated regimen with more side effects. KH

Vein, Vein Go Away
Tendinitis, TPV?