how long and sustiva

I suspect I have been infected some 10 years ago but only last March I decided to have an HIV test and unfortunately the result was positive...up to then I had lots of minor infections but never anything too serious or life threateaning.. Is there a way to pin point how long I have been positive and what alternative to Sustiva I could use?? (reluctant to change as the initial results are encouraging)

Sustiva/Tenofovir/Lamivudine cd 212 March04 cd 265 May 04 (started combo) cd 389 June 04

Response from Dr. Conway

At this stage, it will be very hard (if not impossible) to figure out exactly when you were infected. As for alternatives to Sustiva, a number of options for single drug switching are available to you if your viral load is undetectable. If you are female, I would not switch to nevirapine because of the high risk of hepatic toxicity. If you are male, this is much less of a concern. If this is your first regimen, a switch to abacavir may be an option, although it may be easy for your virus to get resistant to all the drugs in the combination. In the protease class, simple once daily options to consider would be Reyataz or Lexiva, both given with Norvir (adds up to 3 or 4 capsules/day).

Further: Nevirapine w/HCV History
Should I switch from successful 7 year regimen?