Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how long and sustiva
Sep 27, 2004

I suspect I have been infected some 10 years ago but only last March I decided to have an HIV test and unfortunately the result was positive...up to then I had lots of minor infections but never anything too serious or life threateaning.. Is there a way to pin point how long I have been positive and what alternative to Sustiva I could use?? (reluctant to change as the initial results are encouraging)

Sustiva/Tenofovir/Lamivudine cd 212 March04 cd 265 May 04 (started combo) cd 389 June 04

Response from Dr. Conway

At this stage, it will be very hard (if not impossible) to figure out exactly when you were infected. As for alternatives to Sustiva, a number of options for single drug switching are available to you if your viral load is undetectable. If you are female, I would not switch to nevirapine because of the high risk of hepatic toxicity. If you are male, this is much less of a concern. If this is your first regimen, a switch to abacavir may be an option, although it may be easy for your virus to get resistant to all the drugs in the combination. In the protease class, simple once daily options to consider would be Reyataz or Lexiva, both given with Norvir (adds up to 3 or 4 capsules/day).

Previous
Further: Nevirapine w/HCV History
Next
Should I switch from successful 7 year regimen?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.