Further: Nevirapine w/HCV History

first of all, i'd like to thank you very much for your prompt, helpful reply to my recent question (see bottom)

now, if i might, further to my previous inquiry, ask you something else, i would greatly appreciate your input on this related issue - in the inquiry below, i stated that i was changing from efavirenz to nevirapine due to the onset of rapidly developing, painful gynecomastia. having thought further about it, i realize that i cannot be certain that the gynecomastia is, in fact, caused by the efavirenz. i understand that it could also be a result of the zerit (stavudine) that i am taking. i have been taking the stavudine for proabably about 6 or 7 years and never really noticed any significant gynecomastia. i have been taking the sustiva (efavirenz) for somewhere between 3 and 4 years and the gynecomastia seems to have gradually evolved during that time. other than these time-of-use differential regarding the respective drugs, would you be able to say, with all other things being equal, that one or the other of the 2 drugs is typically more likely to cause this particular type of lipodystrophy in general, as i would certainly like to consider all possibilities before conceivably putting my liver at unecessary, serious risk from the potentially toxic effects of the nevirapine - this is assuming that if i were to determine that it may actually be the stavudine causing the gynecomastia, i might be able to replace it with something less dangerous to my liver than the nevirapine. again thank you very much for your advice and insight.

initial question: due to development of sensitive (painful)pronounced gynecomastia caused by efavirenz (taken in conjunction with abacavir & stavudine), we have opted to modify my protocol by replacing the efavirenz with nevirapine. i have a history of hcv infection (treated successfully with alpha interferon, ribaviron, supplemented with milk thistle, nac, & vitamin e). this treatment was terminated 2 years ago upon return of all liver enzymes to normal levels accompanied by several pcr's indicating hcv at undetectable levels. my question is whether it is safe - or if you would advise trying (with weekly blood testing during first 2 months to monitor liver function) to begin the nevirapine (one capsule daily for the first couple of weeks), and if using the nevirapine, are there any additional measures that can be implemented concommitantly to protect the liver (currently totally healthy - no fibrosis, cirrhosis, or inflamation) against any possible damage from the nevirapine.

Good questions for which I don't have a good answer. An evaluation by an endocrinologist is often helpful. Many other drugs can cause gynecomastia (marijuana, cimetidine, methadone, calcium channel blockers and many others) so all drugs need to be reviewed carefully. Often no good cause for gynecomastia can be found but stopping an offending drug is one of the most helpful solutions. That can be a trial and error process than can take time. I can't pick either the Zerit or Sustiva as the more likely cause though the timing for the Sustiva is suspicious. KH

nauzia,fatigue,mouth dry
how long and sustiva