Questions about lipoatrophy

Hi: I started treatment w/3tc/d4t/viramune 8 years ago.I've been <75 ever since w/cd4 900-1000. I'm 51.

I have developed protruding veins in my arms and legs over the last few years. However,there has been a benifit to my torso in that I have lost stomach and love handle fat and my life-long *inee* belly-button has become an *outtee*!!

The problem is I have slight facial dimpling.I didn't really notice until my Dr. suggested I switch the zerit to abacavir. He noticed the mild hollowing which of course I now see all to well.

He recommended a Dr. in SF that is an expert in the use of "Newfill".

Will the med. switch (2 days ago) allow a reversal of the mild facial hollowing and protruding leg and arm veins?

If it does and I decide to have the Newfill procedure will the reversal plus the Newfill add too much fat to my face?

Any other medication switch suggestions? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Conway

Changing medications as you have done may stop the development of lipoatrophy. It is unclear if such approaches lead to a reversal of the changes that have occurred. However, the earlier the change is made, the better, and this seems to be the case with you. I would probably give it some time (perhaps a few months) to see.

As for the Newfill, make sure you see results that this particular surgeon has obtained with people similar to yourself before you commmit to it. The procedure is still dependent on who is doing it.

do condoms "REALLY" work?
Sustiva/Truvada Combo