Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral fitness and replication capacity
Sep 25, 2004

what's replication capacity and how can this be tested? Has this become an important part of HIV care? Can you explain. I have been infected with HIV for 15 years and have been on many regimens. Would it be helpful for my doctor and me to have this test? Is it being used by many doctors nowadays?

Response from Dr. Conway

Relication capacity is a test used for research purposes and available from ViroLogics in San Francisco. To my knowledge, it can only be ordered as part of a research protocol.

The test compares the ability of the virus you are carrying to replicate in the laboratory as compared to a standard virus. If your virus replicates more slowly, it is said to have a reduced replication capacity. All other things being equal, this has been associated with a better response to therapy or a slower decrease in CD4 counts off therapy (at least in some studies).

For an individual person such as yourself, it is not clear at this time how knowing your replication capacity would help us to make better decisions about how to take care of you. However, if you are that interested, I would encourage you to seek out a study for which you might be eligible that would include a measure of replication capacity.

Previous
IGG infusions
Next
Subtypes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.