Positive & concerned about negative partner's warts

Hi...I'm presently in a new HIV sero-discordant relationship(9-10 months). Since this past April, my partner has been undergoing treatment for anal warts. I'm not concerned about getting infected since I had warts once, about 25 years ago...got treated then and I haven't had a re-occurence since. I know that I carry the virus. I also know I'm at a possible risk of getting warts again because of possible repeated re-exposures with this new situation.

Since I'm the one who is HIV+ and I know that HPV is responsible for these warts and it's also linked to PML. My question is what are the implications for the future? Apart from warts, do I run a greater risk of developing PML if my cell counts drop below 100? Does HPV have different strains which are responsible for different manifestations? Thanks...

Response from Dr. Conway

You should be concerned about the warts because you could become infected again in the anal or genital areas. If this occurs, the immune stimulation that results could accelerate progression of your HIV disease.

Although PML is caused by a virus of the wart family, it is very different from the one that causes genital warts. So you cannot get PML from genital wart virus. Also, almost all of the cases of PML that occur in advanced AIDS are due to reactivation of a latent infection that occurred in childhood rather than a new infection. Thus, PML will happen or not irrespective of what you do now. In this day and age, however, you should be able to keep your CD4 count high enough that PML will never be an issue.

Dr Brian.....a question from asia....ASAP
Help Mag