HIV and sex drive

Hello guys, I am Bisexual 37 years old man with 3 kids (girls) I have been HIV+ for about two years and I am on meds for a little over a year (Sutiva & Combivir) "I still have some side effect of sustiva, dizziness and wild dream" In August my CD4 was 608 and my viral load was 139. Here is my question: Prior to be HIV+ I use to have a very strong sex drive (that's what got me in trouble) (The good thing is none of my 3 daughters have contracted HIV neither my ex-wife, just me). Now I have almost no desirer for sex and if I do I cannot keep an erection more than 5~10 mn and the same if I masturbate, I hav to be quick before I lose interest and the erection too, I have no pain at all. My doctor checks my testosterones and its all normal. He gave me a simple of Viagra, but with no result. I just don't know what to do and it's also embarrassing. I have read few things but I don't know if it's true about HIV; medication and sex drive decreasing. Can you please give me some answers or any kind of advice? Thank you so much for your help.

Response from Dr. Conway

The first thing I worry about is whether there is whether there is a medical condition going on, such as a vascular problem or diabetes. You should go over this with your doctor in some detail, but I do not think this is the case for you.

As for the Viagra, I would be interested to know if you used the 100 mg dose on an empty stomach AND that it gave you a bit of a headache and flushing before I concluded that it didn't work. Otherwise, I would also want to know if you wake up in the morning with an erection, which would all point to your problem being stress and anxiety more than anything else.

If all of this still doesn't solve the problem, it could be your medications, perhaps the zidovudine part of Combivir. At your CD4 count, you could probably stop (at least for a bit of time, while watching your CD4 count) and see what happens.

Good luck...

Dying from Something Else
please post