Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

stop using "lipoatrophy" interchangeably with wasting
Sep 17, 2004

I feel very strongly that doctors are abusing this term "lipoatrophy" when the patient's actual problem is simply muscle wasting.

Wouldn't you agree with this construct: if a patient notes a reduction in the size of his butt and thighs, and there is no visible muscle striation under the skin pushing through, that the problem is most likely a loss of muscle?

Lipoatrophy is defined as loss of fat with relative preservation of muscle. Half of the HIV positive men in my gym suffer from a reduction in the size of their butts. These are guys who were larger, more athletic looking people before they were poz. Their thighs were thick and tight, not flabby at all. Now, despite their rigorous training, they have flabby, thin thighs and flattened flabby butts. How could this possibly be lipoatrophy when their body shape change has not only decreased their muscle definition, but has resulted in a flabbier texture altogether?

Look, if these people were losing fat in their thighs and butts, they would be extremely defined down there. But they are not. They have a catabolic/wasted look. Flabby and flattened. Our shape comes from our muscle mass, not fat mass. Fat hangs - muscle pops out. This is basic stuff. When people begin having serious body shape changes, the place to look for changes is in muscle mass. Get suspicious of fat loss when the body becomes overly striated with muscle definition.

Please comment.

Response from Dr. Conway

I definitely appplaud your attempt at trying to make us use the terms precisely. In life, most arguments stem from people not understanding what each other is saying.

For me, lipoatrophy is the loss of subcuraneous fat, such as in the buttocks and limbs (legs more than arms, just because there is much more to lose). It is more often localized and the person can look and feel well, other than the body shape change. Wasting is a more systemic phenomenon, with loss of muscle, fat and everything else. In HIV, it most often occurs in advanced immune disease, often in the setting of opportunisitic infections.

I hope this helps.

Previous
HIV and sex drive
Next
Abnormal labs and meds - correlation?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.