On a Scale of 1-10, which drugs promote lypo/wasting

I know that you have discussed certain regimens which promote lypo and facial wasting, but would it be possible for you to list the drugs and with what degree they promote lypo/wasting.

For example: Zerit/d4t = 10 3TC = 2

If this would at all be possible. Also, what is the usual time from for people to start noticing facial wasting and lypo once they start a regimen. I understand each individual is different, but just an idea in gneneral.

Thanks for your help.

Studies fairly comparing the various NRTIs for their contribution to fat loss are limited and controversy still exisits on any ranking. Many clinicians would interpret their experience and the literature as suggesting that D4T is the drug most linked to lipoatrophy (though it is well tolerated so often used for a long time in patients). AZT may be mid-range and abacavir or tenofovir on the lower end of risk. I am unsure where to put ddI, 3TC and FTC since they are often used with other drugs that confound the picture, but I have patients who were on those drugs who have developed lipoatrophy, so it is unclear if any of the available NRTIs is free of the problem. Age, race, gender, degree of immune suppression and CD4 recovery and duration of HIV infection have all been shown to possibly influence the risk for fat loss so factors other than the specific HIV drugs may also be important. KH

PI & Zocor
HIV and sex drive