PI & Zocor

Because of the antivirals my LDL is too high. My doc is putting me on Zocor but the precribing info from the drug company says Zocor should not be taken with PIs. What should I do? What typically happens to people taking both together? Thx.

PIs can greatly increase the level of simvastatin so that use of Zocor with PIs is strongly discouraged (out of concern for toxicity such as increased risk for rhamdomyolysis). Pravastatin or atorvastatin (starting at low end of dosing for atorvastatin) have been used with some benefit in HIV+ patients on PIs (still need to monitor for safety status). Exercise, diet, fish oil, niacin and fibrates have all been used in the setting of elevated lipids in patients on PIs with variable success. KH

Neck aggravation, dizziness
On a Scale of 1-10, which drugs promote lypo/wasting