buffalo hump/glucosamine & chondroitin

I have had a buffalo hump problem off and on for several years (Viread,3tc & Viramune). I have had it reduced through surgery and it has come back three times. Recently after a knee operation, I was recommended to take glucosamine & chondroitin as a cartilage supplement for the knee, however it seems to have kick started the hump growth again. Is this possible or it is just a concidence?

Response from Dr. Conway

There is no information to support that the chondroitin or glucosamine is having a direct effect on the buffalo hump. That being said, the cause of lipodystrophy is not well established. I think you are on one of the safest HAART regimens when it comes to this. However, immune disease, stress, etc... may cause your problem to get worse. I will remind us all that the buffalo hump is a sign of severe cortisol overload, and cortisol levels are much increased in situations of stress...

wasting and drug combo
Bdna Viral load