Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Switch or leave well enough alone?
Sep 11, 2004

I have been on meds since 1/2004. I am 44 years old. When I started, my viral load was 245,000 and my cd4 was 330 and my cd4% was 9%. I have been on combivir and sustiva. My most recent test at the six month mark was viral load under 50 copies, cd4 486, cd4% 12%. I seem to be tolerating the medicine quite well, with no side effects (with the exception of very slight anemia). Now I hear about the once a day regimens that do not include the AZT which is in combivir. Although I do not have an issue with a twice a day regimen, it really is not that hard to remember, once a day would, of course, be even easier. But my biggest concern is the AZT. I read so much controversy about this particular drug. You hear about all the down side of AZT, and want to know if I should switch. I have spoken to my doctor and he says it is really up to me. Do you have an opinion about combivir versus another once a day treatment without AZT or should I as they say "if it's not broke, don't fix it."

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Conway

I agree with your doctor. In theory, you could switch the AZT to abacavir, tenofovir or didanosine and make your regimen once a day. There are particularly good data on the combination of lamivudine, tenofovir and efavirenz and its efficacy in the long term.

However, all of these regimens, taken once or twice a day, will work extremely well if you take them. If you really feel your life would be improved by taking your pills once a day, then go for it, my friend. If you are just fine now, it ain't broke, so why fix it?

Take care...

Previous
Lipodystrophy without having HIV
Next
Antibodies

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.