Lipodystrophy without having HIV

My female friend of 59 yrs has been suffering with an enlarged abdomen for the last 6 years and has now been told after many scans that fatty tissues are surrounding all of her main organs and nothing can be done for her. When she was 18 yrs she had an operation to remove fatty lumps from her thighs, but this time no-one seems to want to know or help. She is not HIV positive. Her doctor has put her on Xenical Olistat (fat busting pills) to try to reduce the fatty deposits and she has lost 11 pounds in the last month, but is still very concerned that this abdominal lump will continue to grow. Can you offer any advice or suggest someone she can talk to as no-one wants to help and she is very depressed.

Response from Dr. Conway

I am very sorry to hear of her problem. What you describe has nothing to do with HIV, although it may be related in some remote way to what we see as fat distribution problems associated with HIV and/or its treatment. This is very difficult to treat and usually requires the input of an endocrinologist. Unfortunately, there is no easy fix, as nothing (other than Serostim, I suppose) works to reverse fat accumulation in HIV, and it would not work for your friend. I would try to find the best endocrine specialist you can find and see what he/she thinks. Good luck...

HIV + and had burgundy urine
Switch or leave well enough alone?