Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oxandrin to treat lypodystrophy?
Sep 9, 2004

I have been Positive for 12 years, current meds are Kaletra, Rescriptor, and Viread. VL undetectable and T cell 500. Having mild body dysmorphia (neck and waist section), to counter these effects my doctor has prescribed Oxandrine. He indicated that the treatment of choice is HGH, but due to it's prohibitive cost Oxandrine would be second option. In your opion, what can I expect to gain from this treatment and how long before I see results?

Response from Dr. Henry

Anabolic steroids often work best if combined with exercise and a high protein diet. Growth hormone has only been approved for use in AIDS wasting usually in the setting of advanced AIDS and poor control of HIV replication/low CD4 counts. Growth hormone is being studied for use in fat increases in abdomen and neck. The long term safety of oxandrin in this setting is not well described. Some patients do OK with testosterone replacement if they have mid range or low testosterone levels. KH

Previous
Would This Be a Good Combo?
Next
Can HIV+ get sex change?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.