Neuropathy recovery

I am a huge fan of this web site and appreciate all the wonderful advice from the Doctors! I have had severe neuropathy for the past three years and it is getting worse. I do not have any other factors that has been mentioned to worsen my condition. I have such a limited income that I can not afford anything but roxicet and neurontin. They have been working very well on the pain and discomfort. I know how addictive the roxicet is because I ran out of the medication and went through the horrible withdrawal symptoms. Since it works so well- is it safe to use long term and does neuropathy ever get better? I was told by my well know HIV Doctor that it is irreversable. Will I be on a narcotic the rest of my life since I can not afford any other treatment. I live in Nevada if that helps.

Some neuropathy seems to not get better. There are some new developments in the treatment of neuropathy. N acetyl carnitine and prosaptide 0 A nerve growth factor) are being studied by the ACTG and a high potency form of capsaicin is being studied in an industry trial (? can use just use every 3-6 months). Eliminating all contributing factors is important for recovery (HIV replication, offending drugs, other conditions-diabetes, vitamin deficiencies-etc).KH

Early HIV infection and facial wasting
Lipodotrophy