HAART and KS

Three years ago I had been HIV+ forever, but asymptomatic and very healthy. When I showed clusters of KS lesions to my general practitioner, who was relatively versed in HIV treatment, he insisted that my t-cells were too high for KS to develop. Then two years ago I showed him the lesions again, which had gotten worse... this time he had me get a biopsy which came back positive, and I started chemotherapy and the cocktail at the same time. The KS had effected my feet, legs, and spread to my lymph nodes. I did one year of Doxil, and then one year of Taxol. I had my last chemo treatment 5 months ago, and am feeling almost well again -- but I have to wonder what are my chances of being functional enough to return to work and maintain my job. Should I expect to need ongoing chemotherapy? As far as I know there just aren't very many people out there at this point in HAART who even develop KS anymore, or who have it treated when it is in its advanced stages.

You right in that we don't see as much KS and it usually but not always in seen in persons with lower CD4 counts. Many patients can return to full functional status after treatment for KS though some have some lingering problems from the chemotherapy. HIV therapy can also often help out KS so that is something to consider if KS problems return. KH

Memory Loss, Stumbling, Nodding off
Early HIV infection and facial wasting