Hiv and joint pain

Hi Dr.Conway: I remember when I first become infected, 7 years ago, I had pain in my knees. Now after 4 year of HIV meds(Sustiva,Epivir,Retrovir,Ziagen), the pain has increased and now is also in my ankles. I had a blood test which ruled out Rheumatoid arthritis. I also take Pravachol for my cholestrol from the meds. This pain and stiffness makes it difficult to sit for long periods, walk stairs, or even walk for exercise. Do I ignore this or is there something that can be looked at more closely? Thanks for your comments. Karen

Response from Dr. Conway

The first thing I would do is make sure where the pain is coming from. Is this the bones or the joints. An X-ray can help make sure the bones are OK. The next thing is to figure out if the pain started at the same time as you started the Pravachol. Although unlikely, it could be drug-related. I would then do a few more tests to rule out other forms of arthritis (assuming it is the joints). This would be looking for gout, psoriaisis and pseudo-gout (Calcium deposits, roughly speaking). If there is nothing "exciting" on any of these tests, I might then just offer you Advil or something like it to see if it makes the pain better. I would actually do that while the other tests are being done. Hopefully, some of what I have said will help (I have tried to cover all the bases...)

Thanks...
drug screening test??