indomethacin

Thank you for the great site. I have an HIV + client that has a swollen wrist. There is no apparant cause for the swelling according to his doctor, and they are treating him with Indomethacin. This treatment is not working over the past six months. Could this swelling be related to his HAART regime? Could it be a side effect of one of his meds? I would really like to be able to suggest some cause to his doctor so he could at least have a place to start some kind of investigation. Thank you in advance. Ken

Response from Dr. Conway

Thank you for your kind comment about the site. Bone and joint problems can be associated with HIV itself, although they most commonly have no relationship to it, especially if a single joint is involved. Joint problems are sometimes seen when HAART is initiated, but usually more diffusely and not lasting this long. More chronically, there can be bony problems associated with HIV and its treatment, but it usually affects large bones (such as the hips).

For your patient, the first thing to do would be to figure out if it is the bone or joint that is the problem, and then do appropriate blood tests (such as those for arthritis, for instance) to try to make a specific diagnosis. This is where I would start.

High Load; Sustiva OK?
How many ?