indomethacin

Thankyou for the great site. I have an HIV + client that has a swollen wrist. There is no apparant cause for the swelling according to his doctor, and they are treating him with Indomethacic, 50mg's 3 times a day. This treatment is not wirking over the past six months. Could this swelling be related to his HAART regime? Could it be a side affect of one of his meds? I would really like to be able to suggest some cause to his doctor so he could at least have a place to start some kind of investigation. Thank you in advance. Ken

A swollen wrist can be due to a wide range of conditions most of which are usually not directly related to HIV or its treatment. Gout, gonorrhea, reactive arthritis, hidden fractures, ganglions--the list is lengthy. I often get my colleagues in rheumatology (we share the hallway) to help me pin point a cause of joint swelling and come up with the best treatment. Indomethacin is a strong anti-inflammatory agent that can be hard on the stomach. KH

New Regimen Side effects and gaining back muscle weight
Sustiva & Medication Compatibility