Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Injection reaction a given fact?
Aug 18, 2004

Will every person injecting Fuzeon develop a site reaction? If not, what are the approximate percentage of those that do? Thanks.

Response from Mr. Kurtyka

Not everyone receiving Fuzeon develops injection site reactions (ISRs). The official rate of ISRs from the two key key clinical studies of Fuzeon are as follows:

- 98% of people in the initial studies had at least one ISR

- Only 3% of patients discontinued Fuzeon because of ISRs

- ISRs lasted for 7+ days in 17% of patients

I've seen a full range of patient experiences with regards to ISRs. The majority of the patients that I have seen have some degree of a reaction, but rarely have I seen anything severe. Most of my patients have developed a little bit or redness at the injection site that lasts for a day or two, sometimes a small bump that also disappears pretty quickly.

There's no way to predict who will or will not develop an ISR. When and if they do develop, there's a number of things we can try to minimize them such as making sure the medication is at room temperature, injecting with the bevel of the needle down vs. up, massaging the site after injection, heat or sometimes cold applied to the injection site, sometimes using different needles than the ones supplied with the Fuzeon supply kit, topical steroid creams, etc.

I wouldn't let the possibility of ISRs scare you away from trying Fuzeon as your provider and/or nursing staff sholuld be able to work with you to minimize any potential problems.

You may want to check out some of the other areas on thebody.com regarding ISRs...

>>> http://thebody.com/fuzeon/resource/truth_main.html

>>> http://thebody.com/fuzeon/resource/truth_reactions.html

Also check out http://www.fuzeon.com/3000/3000.asp

Good luck ... let me know how you do!

--dk

Previous
Best regimen
Next
IF ONE IS UNDETECTABLE ON COCKTAL BUT WITH SIDE EFFECTS?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.