PEP and Oral Exposure To Blood

Would you recommend PEP for an individual who provided unprotected resuscitation to an HIV-positive person with significant blood in the mouth?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Conway

This is a difficult question. I would be inclined to do so if there was a significant amount of blood invovlved (from the HIV-positive person, I mean), if the individual who did the ressuscitation had an obvious open lesion in the mouth and if the PEP were initiated in the few hours that followed the incident. Otherwise, I would be less enthusiastic about it, but this is the type of thing where I would want to discuss things in detail with the people involved.

I hope this is helpful to you.

What cardiac problems/symptoms does HIV virus itself cause?
Lipoatrophy & Plastic Surgery