signs of wasting in arms, hand, feet

What are the signs of wasting in your extremities(sp?) arms, legs, feet, hands?? i am seeing these dimple (indentations) on my hands & feet plus I have been losing weight since I dropped the Sustiva & started the PI's

Thanks for any information you can give.

I have switched regimines to include PI Reyataz 300 & Norvir 100 1-day ,(1 month) /plus been on Viread, Videx ec, Septra, Zithromax, for over a year. Switched from sustiva to the PI to maybe help increase my cd4 to above 50 my vl is non detect for a while.

Response from Dr. Conway

Given your advanced immune disease, I would be most concerned about the possibility of something else going on (such as an opportunistic infection)rather than lipodystrophy as a cause for the changes you are seeing. You should talk to your doctor about that.

As far as wasting goes, Reyataz appears to be one of the safest drugs in this regard, so I would be very hesitant to attribute any changes to this.

The first signs of wasting would be a loss of subcutaneous fat in the legs, arms and face, along with a prominence of the veins in those areas. It is almost never limited to just the hands and feet, I would say.

I hope this helps you work towards figuring out what's going on, and thanks for your kind comments about the site.

Salvage Regimen
Do Meds Help PN?