Open enrollment for neuropathy study

Dear Dr. Henry,

On Aug. 6, you responded to a question about using Acetyl-l-carnetine (ALCAR) to stimulate nerve regneration in patients suffering from neuropathy. You mentioned that the ACTG is conducting a study using ALCAR to relieve symptoms of neuropathy, as well as an upcoming study using prosaptide O to treat neuropathy and another study using topical capsaicin -- how can I learn more about these studies or even enroll in one or more of them? I've been battling neuropathy for 9 years, using OxyContin for the past 3 years to relieve the pain. The side effects of OxyContin are almost as bad as neuropathy and I'd really like to find different treatment.

Thanks!

Tim in Dallas, TX

Neuropathy is a big deal, as you demonstrate in your note. One problem with many of the studies is that they require that the background use of analgesics/narcotics be fairly low (I disagree with that stipulation). Your HIV doc should be aware of what trials are available in your area. Information about open trials in the US can be accessed through the www.aidsinfo.nih.gov website [http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00050271]. KH

Recently started treatment
the neuropathy, if that's what it is, won't go away