Just Started New Regimen

Hi doctor:

I was on Viracept Viread and Retrovir for almost 5 years (with no side effects) and have now recently began Kaletra and Trizivir. I am only 1.5 weeks into treatment and have experienced bone pain all over my body, including my knuckles, joints and knees. I happen to also suffer from panic disorder and feel like my anxiety is being triggered mroeso since beginning this new regiment. I take 50MG of Celexa for the panic disorder as well.. Other things I am feeling since beginning these new drugs are headache, changes in appetite, where my appetite will be sometimes very extreme and sometimes non-existent. Having never had a side effect on my old drugs should I expect this to end up the same? Are some of the things I have listed common with adding new PI's and Ziagen? Do these drugs lower the amount of SSRI medicine in my blood? Please advise and keep up the great work.

Jay from NYC- Age 30

Generally Celexa has been OK to take with Kaletra. THe abacavir component of Trizivir can cause a variety of symptoms that have to be taken seriously particulary during the first 8 weeks or so. I advise informing your HIV specialist about the symptoms you are having. If a rash, fever, ssevere fatigue, shortness of breath or GI complaints develop then there is increased concern about the hypersensitivity reaction to abacavir. I have many patients who have a variety of complainst when staring Kaletra than tend to settle down over a month or so-worsening of panic type disorders for a while on new meds is often seen. KH

HIV Meds and Gallbladder Disease?
Recently started treatment