depigmented lips

Hello, I'm a black,female african HIV+ 7yrs my CD4 has gone up to 639 viral load undetectable,(combivir& sustiva since 2002)since 2001 i've lost colour in my bottom lip they're now shocking pink i can also feel lumps in them & extremely sensitive.what can i do?? please please help my family are unaware of my HIV but pass the odd comment due to the colour of my lips which seems to be evident in Africans with HIV/Aids. what can i do to reverse this??? thank you GB

I have numerous African-American patients develop pigmentation changes on hands, face, lips and nails in the setting of treated of HIV infection. I haven't observed a consistent pattern or linkage other than that AZT may cause that more than some of the other meds (AZT is a part of the Combivir). You might consider discussing with your HIV doc whether a switch off AZT (say to abacavir which can be doses once a day along with the 3TC part of the combivir in the new once a day pill) could help some. A long list of conditions other than treated HIV can cause localized vitiligo so a consultation from a dermatologist can sometimes be helpful. KH

numb neuropathy
swollen parotid glands