Testosterone - Where is it going?

Howdy Docs! I have been HIV+ for almost 5 years. Recently, due to increasing viral load and decreasing T-cells, we began ARV treatment along with Testosterone injections (200mg every 14 days). The testosterone was added because over the years my weight had dropped from 165 lbs (5'10") to 140 lbs. Over time the weight is coming back, but Total Testosterone levels are still at 264 with the injections....not much different than where we began. Any thoughts on why the Test level hasn't come up higher? Just curious. For now my health is vastly improved, so I'm not too anxious to "rock the boat" but it does seem strange the level isn't higher. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Mark

Response from Dr. Conway

I find testosterone levels difficult to interpret, and would want to see what your free testosterone level is before making any decisions. Also, blood levels aren't really the endpoint here. We are most interested in the effects on appetite, weight gain, etc...If the effect is there, the blood level is not that important. Finally, as you will know if you read my comments on these pages, I am not a big "fan" of testosterone shots. Do be careful and watch for side effects, especially on your liver. This being said, good luck!!!

Zerit, good or bad?
Nevirapine rechallenge?