Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What are chances of havinga weak strain?
Aug 3, 2004

My son has been positive for 1 1/2 years now. Dr. put him on meds as a hit them hard early strategy so we really never knew what his true numbers were. Now, he may be taking him off meds for what we hope will be years to come. However, I try to educate myself as much as possible about HIV but never really get definite answers. I want to know if when his numbers become realistic w/o meds will we be able to determine if he has a "weak" strain of the virus? If this were the case than his life expectany could be more realistic to a "near normal life expectany" as your forum refers to? I want to believe that he will live a near normal life span how can I get a clear answer?

Response from Dr. Henry

The only way to really evaluate how your son's virus impacts his immune system is to stop the medications and observe carefully. Stopping meds can often be done safely for a while if the CD4 count never was less than 250-350. Stopping some meds can lead to risk for resistance if not done carefully (i.e. stopping Sustiva with its long half-life can lead to resistance unless the drugs are stopped in a certain manner which is still being worked out). Natural history studies done in the past suggest that perhaps 5-10% of patients may be long term non-progressors= do well without treatment for 10+ years. KH

Previous
D4T and tinnitus?
Next
KS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.