PEPs and Semen

Hi Dr. Henry,

I took ddI and d4T for 4 weeks as a PEP. It has been about 2 and a half months now since I took my last dose. I've checked the internet for side effects and haven't found any information about this subject. Maybe you can help. Can these two drugs affect semen and any possible birth defects if somebody were to have children right now? I hope to hear from you soon.

I am unaware of any information suggesting that the risk for birth defects in your situation is increased due to your recent use of ddI/D4T. If your HIV test is still negative at 3 and 6 months then I would have no concern from the HIV or birth defect perspective if one of my patients were trying to get pregnant in that situation. KH

Podophyllin side effects
life expectancy