Which way Viral Load/CD4?

Dear Doc

I am a male (35) and have been on treament of HU/DDI for about 6 years. I stopped in Februray 2004 because of failure and side effects. My doctor had recommended triple combination AZT/3TC/Nevarapine.

The issue is that my viral load was PCR 9867 with CD4 of 1094 in February , then in May CD4 of 867 then in July PCR of 7680 and CD4 of 1075.

Now desite all this I am feeling awful. I just cannot describe the feeling but it is cross between Malaise/lightheadedness/fatigue/no motivation/low sexual libido. I cannot describe it even to my own doctor. What do you think I should do. I am currently on the holiday and on six months and waiting for sustained changes in my number before re-start.

My liver once showed elevated AST and ALT but these were marginally above the limits. They since resolved after stopping the meds.

Response from Dr. Conway

At this stage, I would think that most people would stay off HAART in your situation. Current guidelines state that HAART be considered in patients with a CD4 count at or below 350. It is unclear to me whether any of the symptoms you are experiencing are due to HIV. As an example, depression explain all that you are experiencing, in addition to a number of physical conditions, such as thyroid disease, etc... I would discuss this with your doctor.

Are High Fevers (103+) Normal?
Can't tolerate drugs