IS MY RAPID WEIGHT GAIN A SIDE EFFECT OF MY MEDS ?

I am a female who has been poz for 10 years started meds May 15 2004. I am on Sustiva, Combivir & Bactrim. At my follow up with my doc July 15th it was noted I had gained 18 pounds in just two months. I noticed an increase of fat in my mid section. My thyroid was checked and is fine. Are one of my meds the cause? If so is there anything I can do to combat this? Thanks for the help.

Many patients will gain 15-20 pounds during the first months on HIV meds including the ones you are on. The weight gain usually stabilizes. I have patients see a nutritionist and get some exercise counseling as well. For many patients attention to diet and increased exercise helps noticeably. It is not clear whether changing your HIV regimen to some alternative regimen would help matters. KH

Did the meds cause periodontal disease
Viral loads in other body fluids