Desperate...Unable to Tolerate Any Meds

Since December I have been on four treatment regimes. Two included Norvir/Kaletra w/two others and Reyataz/Combivar w/one other. All of them have given me the same exact problems. I go thru two weeks of side effects (nausea, vomiting, weak, dark circles under eyes) among other things...then the symptoms subside...then after a week the side effects come back with full force and don't go away. The last time I ended up so dehydrated they could not even give me IV fluids in the doctors office. I honestly feel like I am slowly dying each time I am on a regime. And it is completely weird that each regime causes the SAME reaction.

Here is some of my history: *Diagnosed with Aids in November *HIV for 13+ years *Chronic Constipation 8 years *Mild Liver Fibrosis *NASH *Fatty Liver *High Liver Enzymes 1 1/2 yrs even off meds. *Gall Bladder functioning at 25% ejection fraction (no stones) *Latest Blood Work CD4 289 Viral 5100

I am at loss for what to do. My doctor says we are out of new meds to try so he is going to put me on a drug I have taken previously (Virucept) and hope I do not have problems. I really wonder if its not the drugs per se...maybe something in my body causing me not to be able to take the drugs...that is why we did gall bladder test. Although, a General Surgeon I have seen says that food causes gall bladder flair ups not meds. But he says we have enough documentation to remove my gall bladder for insurance purposes. At this point I'm not sure whether that is the answer. I just want to be able to take my meds. But I don't know what to do or where to look next.

Do you have any suggestions that would help at this point? Any Ideas? PLEASE HELP!

WOw-tough situation. Some folks are sensitive to protease inhibitors as far as GI side effects but it has been rare in my experience not to be able to find some way to make the side effects tolerate to some degree. The gall bladder may be a contributing factor-if not now then it could flare up during some vacation or something so getting it our may not be a bad idea.

Your liver also sounds somewhat fragile so that could contribute to your drug sensitivity. What you need to treat your HIV with also depends on your resistance history/status but usually I would use Reyataz with 100 mg of ritonavir. I have good luck with either Reglan or Marinol or Zofran in some combination for nausea/vomiting when trying to start HIV meds. KH

Drug Therapy and Steroids side effects
Sudden and Rapid and fluctuating Perotid gland swelling