Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

about the answer to the African
Jul 14, 2004

Doctor, I asked you that question about the answer given to the African because 3 years ago I ended a relationship with a guy (unknown HIV status, but very promiscuous)who was my boyfriend for two years. I have 4 tests from last year (Elisa, and Eia/Elfa HIV duo, from different labs), all negative after two and a half years from my last risky exposition, but I'd experienced 2 vaginal thrush episodes last year and 1 this year and also this year, I've been suffering from sore throat (intermittent), headache, and diarrhea (3 episodes, two of one day and the other of 3 days, the last one was while taking Augmentin, probably as a consequence of the antibiotic). I'm really scared because you answered the African that people may never seroconvert (not sure if you were talking about people who received HAART only), and answered me that I must not be scared if I don't feel any symptoms. I don't have agammaglobulinemia, so I don't know if it's possible to be infected. I'm just becoming crazy!!!!! J.I.G. Thanks a lot for your answer to this message!

Response from Dr. Conway

There are EXTREMELY rare cases of people that are infected with HIV and never properly seroconvert, but they are just that...EXTREMELY rare. In my practice, if I see someone like yourself, I would do an HIV antibody test. If it is negative and there are additional circumstances, I will do a CD4 count and HIV plasma viral load. If these do not indicate HIV, I don't pursue it any further. There are lots of reasons for vaginal thrush and the other symptoms you report, so I would relax if I were you.

By the way, congratulations on no more risky behaviors. You are an example to others.

Previous
Hands & Fingers are Darkening
Next
Memory concern

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.