too young to deal right now

Dear Doctors:

I am a 22 year old female. I found out I was positive in January of 2003. I have yet to start medications. My doctor suggests that I start medications soon. However, when I look at the other women I know who are on medications (and have been for years), I am horrified. They look worn out and almost deformed. I am extremely image conscious and I don't want to look ugly (just like 99.9% of 22 year old women in America.) I am terrified of what I will end up looking like! I also don't want to deal with any of the side effects...these are supposed to be the best years of my life! I don't want to deal with this now.

But, I have two ear infections and had bronchitis two weeks ago. So, my body is telling me something.

I am so lost. What would you tell your daughter...or your girlfriend/wife to do??

Thanks,

Scared and insecure

P.S. Where can I find other girls my age with the virus! Everyone I know with the virus are old. I am not gay (tried it in college...), but I would like to meet other young women who have it too!

Response from Dr. Conway

Thanks for being so courageous to post on the web...hoepfully someone will be able to address your question of support groups for women such as yourself.

As far as treatment goes, you should be reassured by the fact that we have gotten smarter over the years. The regimens we use now are simpler (often few pills,a nd only once a day) and MUCH less likely to cause the type of side effects that you are seeing in the women who have been on pills a long time.

If I were you and you need to go on treatment, be sure to talk to your doctor about your concerns and be sure that the regimen that is being picked for you is the easiest for you to take and one that is least likely to cause the side effects that concern you. There are many choices, one of which will be right for you. Good Luck...

children
vaccine study