Massive weight gain

I am currently on a regimen of Epivir, Viread, Sustiva and Ambien. In the last year, I have gained 70 lbs. My diet has not changed and my routines have not changed. Could this be from the medicines? In addition to the above mentioned med I take Effexor and Adderall for mental health resons and also androgel. is this something I should be talking about with my Doctor next time i see him? Sincerely Mark Wagener-Perkins

Response from Dr. Conway

It depends, to some extent, on the type of weight gain you are experiencing. Some people with liver or kidney disease experience some kinds of weight gain with water accumulation, for example. Other endocrine conditions, such as problems with the adrenals or thyroid can cause weight gain. As you feel better and your immune system recovers, there is also a tendency to gain weight, that can be more marked if you are on antidepressants.

However, 70 lbs is a lot. Of the HIV drugs you are on, the Sustiva is the one that is most associated with fat accumulation in the abdomen (if this is the case for you), and you should discuss this with your doctor.

"Fed Up With Meds, Need Holiday!!!"
children