epivir side effects.

Hi there, I am currently on Sustiva, Viread and Epivir. Which is my second regiment. I was on Trizivir but after 2 months I couldnt take the nausea. It took me from 206 t-cell to 266 and v-load from 50,000 to undetctable. Than I dropped within a 2 month period to where I was when I sarted the current regiment. The Epivir has caused sinus and nasal problems since I started 6 months ago. Which drains into my stomach and makes me sick. My doc reccomended switching from epivir to zerit. But from the research I have done, this does not seem to be a good choice. Would emtriva be better? Any advice would be welcome. My current numbers are. t-cell 250 and v-load under 50. Up from when I started at 190 and 30,000 respectivly. Thank you so much for your time.

The side effects you attribute to the Epivir would be unusual for Epivir to cause. Emtriva is quite similar to Epivir and there is little data available about what happens when one substitutes FTC for 3TC in the setting of possible 3TC side effects. Ziagen or even AZT would be options instead of the 3TC (ddI also). Sometimes one has to switch out one drug at a time to find the right combination that is a good fit for a particular patient. I assume you don't have either an actual sinus infection from something else of chronic esophageal/stomach problems (such as reflux esophagitis ot H pylori disease) that could be the problem and not one of the HIV drugs? KH

Is this side effect or somthing else?
Working till I drop