Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Failure on T-20 and Tipranavir
Jul 4, 2004

I have been using T-20 and an experimental and as yet unapproved PI called Tipranavir along with Viread, Abacavir, and Epivir. When I started at the beginning of March my T-cells were at 8 and my viral load above 87,000. My t-cells rose to 21 then fell to 12 and again to 11. The viral load has gradually gone down from 87,000 to 63,000 to 21,000. My doctor basically considers this a failure and told me to consider switching regimens once again. I have been on meds since 1995 with little success from any of them. I guess I feel a bit hopeless about taking meds. My doc has already said that any new regimen would not work any better than this one has. Should I continue placing faith in drugs which never seem to work?

Response from Dr. Conway

You ask a difficult question. I would probably do a resistance test (a phenotypic test for you may be best, given how complicated the genotype may be). If, based on this, a regimen can be designed that may lead to virologic suppression, you may consider this. If not, it may be that the best thing to do is to go on a regimen of just nucleosides. Deeks et al have shown that in this setting, this type of regimen does lead to some benefit prventing too much deterioration in your clinical state while awaiting new medications, such as new entry inhibitors and 2nd generation NNRTIs that may become available later this year in expanded access or clinical trials. But I would encourage you to look at the resistance test result first to see if there is any regimen that could be designed that would work better for you.

Good luck...

Previous
Neurology
Next
WORRIED IN PA

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.