Is my cocktail the best?

I am currently on Zerit, Ziagen, and Kaletra. I have noticed face wasting and an increase in diarrhea. I am allergic to sulfa drugs. Is there a better cocktail for me?

Response from Dr. Conway

There are many cocktails available. The key is to find one that you can take and that will not cause you too many (if any) side effects.

Both Zerit and Kaletra are associated with diarrhea and facial wasting, the latter becoming more prevalent over time.

As far as the two nucleosides go, many favr the use of lamivudine with either zidovudine, tenofovir or didanosine. Three of these drugs (all except zidovudine) can be taken once a day.

As far as the third drug goes, we tend to use Kaletra (which you are on) quite a bit. The other three drugs that receive serious consideration are efavrienz, nevirapine and atazanavir. All three of these are low pill count agents that can be given once a day.

So here are a number of potential options for you to consider...

Pos African queen on HAART and with AVN
weight loss & HAART