kaletra side effects

I have been known HIV positive for 12+ years. My T-cells have never dropped below 200, although they were close when I was first diagnosed. Other than thrush, I have never yet had any AIDS related symptoms, and I have not had thrush since I started treatment for my HIV status. In addition, I have a history of pancreatitis (although I have not had an attack in over 6 years) and I am an insulin dependant diabetic.

I was on Viracept, Epivir and Invirase for several years and had undetectable viral loads and T-cell counts in the 700 range. My doctor decided to give me a "vacation", and I was off of meds for 14 months before my viral load got over 100,000 and my T-cells dropped into the 320 range.

When my doctor started me back on meds, he put me on a combination of Kaletra and Combivir. Initially, I had very vivid dreams, but little else in the way of side effects. Now I find that I am much easier to anger than I ever have been before. Is this a common side effect of either Kaletra or Combivir, or should I start looking elsewhere for a reason?

Thanks.

CMC

Response from Dr. Conway

Of the medications that you are taking, the one that may be associated with this side effect is the zidovudine component of the Combivir. This would be highly unusual with either lamivudine or Kaletra. Of course you should try to figure out if there is some other cause for this in your life (stress, depresssion, anxiety). If not, then you can discuss the possibility of changing your regimen, bearing in mind that if your viral load is undetectable, single drug switches to deal with issues of toxicity are permissible.

What is happening to me?
lymph nodes