Should I never try Viramune again?

Hi!

I've been HIV+ for 4 years now and began treatment one year after diagnosis. I was on a Trizivir-only regimen which was producing some blips (VL = 80, CD4= 490) occassionally while reading undetectable most of the time. My doctor said that I should change my regimen due to the fact that there was some underlying resistance developing.

I was reluctant to change my meds, as I had no side effects, but we decided to add Viramune to the regimen.

Within a couple of weeks, I had a high fever and turned yellow. The tests confirmed high bilirubin levels and non-viral hepatitis.

Needless to say, he had me stop taking that and I've since switched to a completely different regimen including Sustiva, Kaletra and Viread. (Subsequent testing showed that I had resistance to all the Nukes except Viread and to no PIs or Non-Nukes.)

At the time of the initial change, I was also on Serzone, which has been taken off the market in Europe and Canada for causing liver problems and is currently under review here for the same purpose. I have since gotten off the Serzone.

My question is this - since the side effects from the Sustiva I'm taking are so wretched, can I consider taking Viramune again? Or should I just let it go. Until the hepatitis, I didn't have any problems with the Viramune and my VL was undetectable.

Anything you can add will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Conway

The side effect that you descibe (hepatitis with fever) can be sue to Viramune. If treatment is continued, it can kill you. Although we cannot be certain that the Viramune was the cause, the timing is right and the symptoms resolved off Viramune.

The risk of restarting Virmaune (and having a recurrence of the same problem, perhaps worse) at any time is too great...you should never take it again.

Questions about resistance testing
veiny legs and arms