CMV and HIV

I just read an article which reads that CMV infection coupled with HIV infection quadriples the chances of an HIV-infected person progressing to AIDS. Is this true? If so, is there anything I should ask my doctor regarding this mattter?

Concerned in California.

A very high percentage of adults are infected with CMV (+ CMV antibodies). I haven't seen data that those with CMV+ antibody status are 4 times more likely to progress to AIDS. If there is active CMV disease then that is one of the AIDS defining conditions. CMV disease in AIDS is usually seen only in persons with very low CD4 counts (i.e < 100). If you have a decent CD4 count (i.e. > 250-350) then CMV disease is unlikely to develop. Treatment with effective antiretroviral drugs has almost eliminated CMV disease as a result of immune reconstitution. KH

danger cats in home
Tingling sensation