Neuropathy

I have been HIV+ since 98 however I just really started taking my meds in March. My T cell counts were like 3 and I have a viral load greater than 75,000. However neuropathy set in before I started to take my meds and it has affected my legs.I have not had the full use of my legs since February. My question is will my legs ever return normal?

Response from Dr. Conway

I am sorry to hear of your problem. The answer is...it depends. There are many causes of neuropathy, many of which are reversible. A number of tests (blood tests and other tests) can be done to figure this out. In some cases, the neuropathy is due to HIV itself. If this is the case for you, the neuropathy may slowly improve as you start antiretroviral treatment.

It will be important for you to avoid drugs that may cause neuropathy themselves (such as didanosine and stavudine) so we don't make the problem more complicated than it already is. Also, if you are to get treatment for the neuropathy, try to avoid narcotics so you don't get hooked on them.

Good luck....

Can you be infected from a bite on the hand?
Regimen Switch including Foscarnet