How to fight fat abnormalities

Hi Doc, I'm in South Africa. I started taking 3TC, Zerit, Efavirenz two weeks ago. I have not up to date suffered any side effects. Common sense says there is a low probability of having any, however, you are the expert; pls furnish me on the chances of side effects at this stage. 2nd question: my doctor told me that I will definitely start gaining weight in a month or so; if one follows a balanced low fat plan (Weighless)and exercises like I do, will that help or the body will just misbehave regardless of the effort? How do meds affects ones' appetite? Really concerned!

Response from Dr. Conway

Congratulations on "taking the plunge" and getting on therapy. You are right that most people do not experience side effects at all. The main ones to be worried about would be related to your stomach (nausea, vomiting, etc...) and some neuropsychological issues (atypical dreams as a common example) relating to the efavirenz. However, most of the problems occur early on, and you seem to have been spared....

You will initially gain weight due to an imporvement in your immune system and your general state of health. To avoid (as much as possible) abnormal changes in your body shape, a good exercise progam and diet are the key.

A final thought...you may wish to get a substitute for the Zerit if this is available to you, as this drug has been associated with lipodystrophy in clinical studies.

Good Luck...

KS Spots
I need your expert opinion.