Extra belly fat

i am a 44 year old male. I have been on HIV meds since '95. Everything has gone very well for me except for not being able to lose the fat in my belly. I am constantly feeling bloated, gassy and always have discomfort after eating or even sometimes drinking a full glass of liquid. When I first began therapy I had believed that this was due in part to my taking crixivan...but I stopped that therapy over 4 years ago...my doctor recently switched me from my fortovase/epivir/zerit meds that I had been taking since then to norvir,reyataz,viread,epivir saying that this combination of meds doesn't retain as much fat as the past meds and that it should reduce the fat in my belly. He also has given me testosterone gel. I have been on this new regimine for about 3/4 months now - but so far there has been no change and I am still very frustrated with my unablility to lose my belly. I go to the gym reguarly- am in pretty great shape and feel great otherwise. Has anyone had any success loosing their extra belly weight? Is there anything I can do?

Response from Dr. Conway

I am pleased to see that you are on a simple, once daily regiment that consists of only 5 pills once a day. Your doctor is right in that the regimen you are on is not associated with body shape changes to any extent, except for the ritonavir boosting part of the atazanavir. You can't change that, unfortuantely, due to the drug interaction with viread.

I would have a number of observations. First, this may now be changes due to age rather than anything else. Another thing may be the type of exercise you are doing, as it would be important to miz aerobic and wieght training to get the maximal change in body composition that you are seeking. Also, you may need to look at your diet. There is a lot to be said for a diabetic-type diet (with enough caloric content, of course) as the best to ensure metabolic balance. Access to a dietician would be key here. Getting bosy compostion analysis and tracking it over time would also be helpful.

Removal of buffalo hump
Hiv meds and high blood pressure meds