metamucil

You may have received many responses on this topic in the intervening month since it was posted. I apologize that I do not remember the source (although it is likely to have been The Body), but I did recently read somewhere the recommendation that Metamucil/fiber not be taken with vitamins, and by implication meds (or vice versa: fiber not be taken with meds, and by implication vitamins...can't remember for sure) because it blocks absorption. I was alarmed to read this since I have been doing just this every morning for years. (I take both all my once-a-day meds and many vitamins/supplements in the morning.) So I stopped taking the fiber altogether. In spite of whatever effect taking fiber with meds/vitamins may or may not have on absorption, I have been undetectable or very low viral load (under 1000), with T-cells numbering above 750, consistently for almost two years.

Response from Dr. Conway

I do not think there are any convincing data that Metamucil has any negative effect on the absorption of anti-HIV medications. In fact, it can have two beneficial effects:

1. As fibre, it can reduce the incidence of drug-associated diarrhea and actually reduce the side effects you may be experiencing.

2. By slowing down the transit time of the medications in the gut, it may actually enhance their absorption and possibly their efficacy.

Fever - hoarse voice
sustiva + gileads nukes